Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action day

God is so amazing! I mentioned to my dear husband that I wanted headphones today, so I could listen to the radio without disturbing my 3 other office mates while I worked on entering data today. He gave me headphones that work great... and I turned onto one of my favorite radio stations- and I noticed that it is BLOG ACTION DAY talking about poverty.

I work at a non-profit that serves reidents in need. Our requests for help is up 20-28% from last year. In the wealthiest county in the state- we have poverty. This comes as a shock to many of it's residents, and most of them don't even know "where the poor people live"

I'm hear to tell you- they live next door, their beautiful children sit next to yours in the school, they worship in the same pew as YOU! NONE of us are that far removed from poverty- or at least financial disaster.

The country is getting an eyeful right now with the media forcasting walstreet's fall and rally, with the banks closing...

This is what we deal with every day. It's just MORE!

Monitary donations are down, making it very hard to look into the eyes of the mom or dad and say "I'm sorry we can't help you get to the next paycheck..."
We normally could offer a food basket but our food donations are down, the food pantry shelves are a lot more empty than I've seen them in four years at this time.

The good news is GOD is faithful! He is our HOPE! In my daily devotion- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young-- this passage: "...My presence with you is both a promise and protection. My final statement just before I ascended into heaven was: Surely I am with you always. That promise was for all of My followers, without exception."

That is the news I try to share with those struggling with poverty, with despair, with heart ache most of the population will never feel in a lifetime.

There are lots of kinds of poverty...poverty of wealth, poverty of morals and poverty of spirit.
Graceworks Ministries, Williamson Tennessee not only trys to bridge the gap of poverty of wealth (help with rent or utilities and resources to make a change) but also the volunteers and staff willingly and lovingly share the Spirit of HOPE in HIM.

"God help me today as I go about data entry, remembering the clients each and praying for them. Bestow on them blessings in accordance with YOUR riches! I pray today for the country, and the poverty of hope in the spirit in this country. You are SURELY with us... and I am thankful."

Lovingly written by just me...just jane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I really enjoyed reading yours as well. I also read your October 10 posting and was interested to see the reaction the patient with Alzheimer's had to your song. I've read before that singing songs Alzheimer's patients used to sing can have a positive impact on them. I was encouraged to see this example of that.

Sarah said...

Jane, I haven't visited your blog in a while--things have been crazy here. Just wanted to say hello and to thank you for reminding me of Graceworks. I hate to hear that giving is down--Graceworks does such wonderful things and has such a special place in our hearts. I will see what I can do about lighting a fire under those in my circle.

Bless you for offering the hope of all mankind so generously to all.

Sarah

Blog Archive